Post InCarceration Syndrome – Are the 5 maladies briefly described below:
• Institutionalized Personality Traits: This passivity derived from an
individual’s ongoing state of learned helplessness encountered while
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): This disorder is based on
trauma originating both prior to and during their time in prison.
• Antisocial Personality Traits (ASPT): These passive-aggressive
tendencies are a coping mechanism against the abuse derived within
the prison system.
• Social-Sensory Deprivation Syndrome: This is caused from
prolonged periods of solitary confinement.
• Substance Abuse Disorders: Inmates, both current and former,
often turn to drugs to self-medicate to temper and escape the
symptoms and disorders caused by PICS.